Please Note: The Fat Experience Project is currently on a very slow roll. I’ve recently returned to higher education and have learned a great deal in the last few years about intersectionality in activism that may entirely revise the foundation of The Fat Experience Project (Let’s just shorten that to FXP, shall we?) as it stands now. Please feel free to submit your story, but understand that for the near future, updates will be powerful but infrequent updates as I revise and re-think FXP’s direction. What follows is the project scope as it stood in 2008.
The Fat Experience Project is all about you, your life and your experiences. This project will only be successful if you are a part of it.
We invite you to share your stories with us. FXP seeks to be fully inclusive of age, gender, ethnicity, ability, class and sexual orientation. We want to hear what living large has been like for YOU; the good, the bad and the full gamut in between.
- first-person, non-fiction, autobiographical essays.
- first-person, non-fiction, autobiographical video entries.
- Topical spoken word pieces (via text, video or mp3)
- Representative photographs (artful nudity OK.)
- Written pieces should be sent in the body of an email and ideally accompanied with a photo of yourself. Recommended length between 500 and 800 words.
- Video should be sent in .mov or .wmv format, optimized for web. Consider 4MB/min a reasonable file size. We recommend YouSendIt as a means to send large files.
- Audio files should be sent in high-quality, stereo mp3 format, or .wav. and should be accompanied by a photo and a brief text summary of the contents of the file.
- Photographs should be sent in 300dpi if possible, as we may contact you for permission at a later date to use the photo in press pieces and/or advertising.
- You may make multiple submissions in all categories, though we will defer space and time to new submissions.
Please send all submissions to:
Please Note: Submissions may take as long as a month to be read and responded to. I understand that these are very personal stories, and as such, it can be frustrating not to hear back right away. I’ll do my best to honor that as I’m able. I do reserve the right to refuse submissions that fall outside of our mission.